Verse Higher Level and its accompanying Poetry Skills Portfolio utilise active learning methodologies to build up students’ knowledge and essay writing skills and break down the barriers to exam success.
- Contains all eight poets prescribed for examination in 2021.
- Features a clear, colourful A4 layout. A key image accompanies each poem to aid visual learners.
- Timeline for each poet offers relevant biographical detail to give context to their work.
- Innovative pre-reading questions for all poems serve to engage students immediately.
- Comprehending and responding questions lead students to their own understanding of each poem and assist with differentiation in the classroom.
- Exploring sections after each poem offer immediate, clear analysis in a concise format. Relevant quotation and biographical detail is integrated in the commentary, providing a model for essay answers.
- Creating questions contain innovative writing assignments prompted by the poem, which allow students to practise for Paper 1 through their study of poetry, with common formats such as letters and blog posts.
- End-of-chapter theme sections contain handy reference tables showing the main themes within each poem. Major themes are explored in-depth, bringing together an overall analysis of the poet.
- End-of-chapter language and imagery sections offer notes on key literary techniques used by the poet with relevant examples for each.
- Sample essay plans and paragraphs for each poet develop skills in building structured answers that respond accurately to the question asked.
- Unseen poetry section offers friendly guidance on approaching the unseen question with a variety of fresh poems and songs.
- Exam advice sections provide useful information on preparing for and answering on prescribed and unseen poetry.
- Glossary of poetic terms gives clear explanations for students to refer back to when needed.
Poetry Skills Portfolio
Verse Higher Level is the only anthology to come with a Poetry Skills Portfolio, where students can build up their knowledge of studied poets and ability to write exam-standard essay answers in a carefully scaffolded way, with:
- mind maps
- word banks
- biography tasks
- theme, language and imagery note templates
- paragraph-writing tasks
- dedicated space for writing sample essays.
The Verse Poetry Skills Portfolio makes the process of understanding poetry interactive and interesting and leaves students with an invaluable revision guide at exam time.