This Second Edition of Educate.ie’s market-leading The Merchant of Venice offers teachers a range of opportunities to engage with and assess students, using carefully scaffolded written tasks, oral activities and exam questions. Students are supported in their study with clear annotations and explanations.
A consistent, step-by-step approach ensures real understanding and embeds knowledge so students are not only prepared for their Junior Cycle exam, but confident to study Shakespeare at Leaving Certificate.
With a huge emphasis on stagecraft, performance and creativity throughout, this edition is sure to engage students and bring The Merchant of Venice to life in the classroom.
- All scenes are introduced with clear learning intentions, a summary of the action and a bank of useful terms.
- Numbered annotations explain unfamiliar words and phrases in simple, modern English.
- NEW! Plot Point boxes provide an overview of what is happening in scenes.
- Important dialogue is clearly identified to support independent study.
- NEW! Integrated Looking at Language feature promotes literacy and understanding of language devices used in the play.
- NEW! Spotlight feature focuses attention on key areas such as important speeches and stagecraft techniques.
- NEW! Character Note feature builds understanding of key characters scene by scene.
- NEW! Shakespeare’s World boxes offer context by explaining relevant beliefs, traditions and customs of Shakespeare’s time.
- End-of-scene overviews provide a simple summary of key themes and events and highlight important quotes.
- End-of-scene Reviewing, Exploring, Creating, Oral Language and Reflecting tasks quickly and simply assess knowledge and understanding as students move through the play; offer active learning ideas; and provide integrated opportunities for pair and group work.
- NEW! Linking to the Exam feature highlights a relevant past or sample SEC exam question at the end of each act and extensively supports students to plan and answer it.
- Examining the Play section provides for comprehensive understanding of plot, character development and key themes and gives clear guidance on approaching drama questions.
- The accompanying The Merchant of Venice Portfolio Book completes the package with a range of tasks to further understanding and engagement, and prepare for assessment.